Tuesday 12 February 2013

Offline: Why I'm doing this

The Internet, we all use it, most of us use it daily, but do you use it too much? How much is too much, I don’t know however I can tell you that I use it a lot. As soon as I wake up I am straight on various news apps checking the latest news and then I am onto Twitter to tweet about the weird and wonderful stories I have found. I continue to use the Internet all day until bedtime when I finish my day by lying in bed messaging various people over Facebook Chat.

I use Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Blogger, Google Calendar, Google Docs, Bing, Evernote, Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, Instagram, Tumblr, Vine, Pinterest, SkyDrive, YouTube, eBay, Amazon and Skype all which use the Internet.
The wire most people couldn't live without.

I wouldn't say that I am a particularly religious however for Lent this year I am going to give up the Internet.
If you didn't know, Christian people sometimes give something up for Lent such as chocolate or sugary foods. It starts on Ash Wednesday (which is the day after Pancake Day) and it lasts for 40 days and 40 nights.
If you want to know any more about Lent it may be worth investing in a Bible.
Lent 2013 begins on Wednesday, February 13 and ends on Saturday, March 30 2013. (Anyone who is half decent at Maths will realise that that is more than 40 days and that is because apparently Sunday's don't count however I will be counting them.)

The Internet is a gutter, it has uses however most of the time it is clogged up by someone else's rubbish.

I'm doing this for no other reason than I want to see if it is possible for myself to live web free for a period of time. If I succeed I hope I have became wiser and more intellectual. And if I fail and give up less than half way through I'm going to be extremely disappointed with myself and probably delete this post so I don't look like a complete idiot.

Unfortunately I won't be able to do the dramatic unplugging of my house's Ethernet cable because my family needs to use the Internet however I will be turning off Wi-Fi and the mobile data connection on all of my devices.

The Rules
I can text message however I don’t see why I’d want to, 10p a message is a waste of money. This means if I want to have a good conversation, it is going to have to be face to face.
I can’t use any sort of Internet browser (this means I can’t surf the web or buy things online)
I can have a mobile phone however I can’t download apps, music, games, videos or anything else. I can’t use any pre-installed apps on the phone if they use the Internet – such as maps, email and calendar.
I'm allowed to get friends to check emails as occasionally something important comes into my inbox.

I'm going to be writing a weekly post on Microsoft Word 2003 about how I'm coping 'Offline' which I'll get one of my friends to post onto this blog for me. So check back every Wednesday.
My usual stream of nonsense and twittering will return March 30th 2013.