Wednesday 24 July 2013

A rant about cinemas!

Today is the first day of the Summer Holidays, the weather is fine and there is no school work that I need to do so this morning my friend and I decided to go to the Cinema to watch Simon Pegg and Nick Frost in ‘The Worlds End’ however the film is a 15. I didn’t think this would be a problem since my 15th birthday was in April and my friend turned 15 at the weekend (although he had looked 15 for a while now). Unfortunately it was a problem, we were asked for ID and we didn’t have any meaning we weren’t allowed in to see the film.

First, Passports take a lot of time and money to get so any parent trusting their teenage son/daughter to take it to the cinema with them is taking a risk. Plus, not everyone has a passport! And what other kind of photographic ID are you supposed to have when you are 15? A driver’s licence?

Secondly, the film certificates stating what age the film is suitable for should only be a recommendation – not a policy or law. If a 12 year old wants to go and see an 18 horror movie – let them. It is their fault when they poo themselves and can’t sleep on a night anymore!

Also, I’m guessing ‘The Worlds End’ is only a 15 because of the bad language and violence in the film. I’m a teenager for goodness sake – I hear worse language and more violence walking home from school!